Jump to Navigation
Driver's License Suspension & ODL

Dallas Suspended Driver's License Attorney

Helping You Seek an Occupational Driver's License in Texas

If you have a suspended driver's license, you may have options available to you to help get your license back or obtain an occupational driver's license (ODL) for limited purposes. I am Jack Byno, Attorney at Law. I have been assisting individuals with suspended driver's licenses for two decades. I understand the system and can work efficiently to help you identify your options and reach your goals.

With offices in Colleyville, I serve clients in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, including Irving and Carrollton, and throughout all of Texas. Contact me to learn more about how I may be able to help you.

More about a Occupational Driver's License.

Traffic Violation in Texas?
Call Jack Byno • 817-685-0912

In general, driver's license suspensions fall under two main categories:

  • Criminal suspension: This is issued by a criminal court
  • Civil suspension: This is initiated by the Department of Public Safety (DPS)

The options available to you depend strictly upon why you initially received your suspended driver's license.

More about Dallas - Fort Worth traffic tickets.

Your Options in Certain Criminal Driver's License Suspension Scenarios

  • If your suspended driver's license occurred as part of your punishment for a driving while intoxicated (DWI) conviction, you have to go back to the court and that suspended your license to request an ODL.
  • If you have received two no insurance convictions and your driver's license has been suspended, all you need to do is obtain insurance and contact DPS. You will also need to pay a reinstatement fee.
  • If you have received a letter from DPS stating they will suspend your driver's license because you were convicted of too many moving violations, you can contest the suspension in court. But you must act fast. Contact me immediately if you have received this letter. If your opportunity to fight in court has passed, I can still assist you by seeking an ODL.

Your Options in Certain Civil Driver's License Suspension Scenarios

  • If you failed a DWI breath test or refused to take the breath test, DPS can automatically suspend your driver's license. You have 20 days from the time of failure or refusal to contest this suspension. If you do not send notice to DPS stating that you want to contest the suspension, you can expect your driver's license to be suspended 40 days from the date of refusal or failure. If you do not wish to contest the suspension, I can still assist you by seeking an ODL.
  • If you have a suspended driver's license because you failed to pay state surcharges from traffic ticket convictions, there is unfortunately nothing you can do to contest the suspension, unless something was placed on your driving record in error. However, you can contact DPS to create a payment plan to pay the surcharges and reinstate your driving privileges.
  • If DPS suspended your license because you failed to pay a monetary award after being found guilty and at fault for a motor vehicle accident, you can seek to create a payment plan through the other party's lawyer. If the other party does not comply, you may be able to obtain an ODL in court.

More about driver's license suspension hearings.

Applying for an Occupational Driver's License (ODL)

If you have a suspended driver's license, my firm will seek an ODL for you in court. This will allow you to drive to and from work and other necessary places for certain periods of the day. You will need to provide us with a copy of your driving record, proof of insurance (form SR 22), and any relevant case information. Contact me today for more information.

More about a Occupational Driver's License.

Fines and court costs are not included in fees for legal representation.

Find Jack Byno on Google+